My husband and I have been making this since we first got married and had more time to experiment in the kitchen together. It pairs great with a Prosecco or a Riesling, which you should definitely drink while you cook it.
1/2 lb angel hair pasta*
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 c. hard cider (our favorite is Smackintosh by Tandem Ciders – we consider this our “house cider”)
8 oz. mushrooms (white button or baby portobellos)
1 c. frozen peas
half an onion, diced small
1-2 cloves minced garlic
salt and black pepper to taste
2 T. butter
- Put frozen chicken breasts in slow cooker on high. Pour in hard cider. Cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box (angel hair cooks fast – pay close attention if you’re not used to cooking it).
- Melt butter in large fry pan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in pan for 1-2 minutes, or until translucent. Add zucchini, sliced and quartered, and mushrooms, chopped.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Saute veggies uncovered until almost tender. Add peas and cook until heated through and zucchini is tender.
- Use hand mixer to shred chicken in slow cooker (this should only take about five seconds), leaving hard cider/juices in.
- Mix pasta, chicken/juices, and veggies together in a large bowl. Serve with extra butter to melt over pasta and shredded Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This goes well with garlic bread and steamed broccoli or Eat Well’s Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash. And I would follow it with a mug brownie for one. My favorite is this one from Simply Recipes. It makes enough to share, and I always add a small handful of mini chocolate chips to the batter before I microwave it.
*We also cook a small amount elbow macaroni for our kids because they still choke on angel hair, even if we cut it up small.